PROCEDURE FOR THE APPLICATION FOR
AND ISSUANCE OF PISTOL LICENSE PERMITS
FOR NON-VILLAGE OF PENN YAN RESIDENTS
THROUGH THE YATES COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE
1. A FALSE STATEMENT ON ANY APPLICATION WILL VOID SAME AND THE APPLICATION WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR PERMIT ISSUANCE. ALSO,
APPLICANT MAY BE SUBJECT TO PROSECUTION FOR PERJURY OR MAKING A PUNISHABLE FALSE WRITTEN STATEMENT, EITHER OR WHICH CONSTITUTES A CRIME PUNISHABLE BY FINE, IMPRISONMENT OR BOTH.
2. In order to obtain a pistol permit, you will need to be:
a. A resident of Yates County; and
b. At least 21 years of age; or
c. Honorable discharged from the United States Armed Forces or New York State National Guard. If you are under 21 and so honorable discharged, you will need to provide such documentation with your formal application.
3. Fill in the blanks of formal application (Form PPB-3), starting with the last name down to the character references. Have the character references fill in and sign then continue and fill in all blanks on all three (3) applications.
4. You will be furnished with four (4) character reference questionnaires, which shall be completed by each character reference. The character reference must sign their completed form before a notary public. Character references must be residents of Yates County and have known the applicant for at least one year. No public officer, or relative of applicant, or relative of any other reference, or member of applicant's household, or two persons from the same household shall be accepted as a character reference. No character reference shall be an employee, business associate or employer of the applicant. All references must be dated within 30 days prior to filing of the formal application.
5. All four (4) of the character references must sign all three (3) PPB-3 applications, after their name and address. .
6. The make, caliber and the serial number of the gun being purchased must be recorded on the PPB-3 application, if you possess this information.
7. Applicant shall schedule an appointment for fingerprinting by going to the www.l1enrollment.com website or calling their L1 toll free call center at 877-472-6915. Appointment schedule via the website is available 24/7/365. Appointment scheduling via the call center is available 9 am to 9 pm Monday through Saturday. The Yates County Sheriff's Office ORI number is NY0610000 which must be given when scheduling with L1 on line or telephone. If the applicant schedules their appointment through the L1 website, it is recommended that they print out the confirmation page and bring it with them to their appointment.
8. The applicant will select the most convenient location to get fingerprinted as part of making their appointment. A list of available locations can be found at www.l1enrollment.com. Select "NY" and then click on "Locations" to view the listing.
9. Payment options include: personal or business check, government check, certified check, bank check, money order, or credit card. Make payment to "L1 Enrollment Services". Fees are subject to review and may be changed by L1 each January and July 1. Request a current fee when you call for your appointment.
10. The applicant will go to the fingerprint location and bring 2 forms of identification, at least one of which must have a photo. When they schedule their appointment, they will be given the options of what forms of identification are considered acceptable. At the fingerprinting location, the identification documents will be reviewed, fingerprints rolled and photos taken. The applicant will be provided two receipts indicating the applicant's name, fingerprinting site location, date and time, fee paid and reason for fingerprinting. One of these receipts will need to be presented to the Yates County Sheriff's Office at the time the Pistol Permit is turned in.
11. The papers should now be returned to the Sheriff’s Office together with four small photographs as required in the application. These photos must be:
a) full face only;
b) head uncovered;
c) on plain and contrasting background.
These photos can be taken at the Yates County Clerk's Office or various commercial establishments around the community.
12. Return completed package to Records Division between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. During July and August, business hours are 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM.
13. Your name will also be checked through the Department of Mental Hygiene files in Albany, NY for any record of mental illness.
14. When the background investigation is completed by the Sheriff's Office, the application will then be presented to the County Judge for approval or disapproval. You will receive notification from the Yates County Pistol Permit Clerk at that time.
15. A fee as determined by the Yates County Clerk's Office must be paid when applicant is issued a permit by the Yates County Judge.
16. The governing statute (Penal Law Section 400.00) allows six months from presentation for action upon the completed application. In the case of exceptional delay, you will be notified in writing. Likewise, if the process is completed sooner, you will also be notified.